Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Misery

Trying to muster up inner strength to face the chill


Man alive, is it me or did the weather forget all about that lovely beaming thing in the sky called the sun? The last three months have finally taken a toll on me. Winter has nearly defeated me and my bike cruising ways. Usually I am defiant in the face of rain and snow but the last few days have caused me great misery. Yes, cycling is fun and it’s great to be committed to cycling whatever the weather but I have a threshold and for the first time in my life I have nearly gone over it. Life on two-wheels has become mighty challenging.

For example:

+   My gloves have officially become my chief nose wiping instrument. Snotting onto my gloves I'm      sure wasn’t the plan for their lovely glove life and now they resemble snot rags. Hey ho.

+   My right eye has spent the winter permanently streaming making me look like I am forever mourning the loss of mild weather. As a consequence, my eye makeup on my right cheek is permanently smudged making me look like I work in a coal mine.

+   Sometimes both snot AND tears run into my mouth when cycling and I get confused and don't quite know what to make of the curious taste.

+   The sleet, snow and icy wind has dried out my face like a ugly prune and I am now concerned that my youthful looks are a distant memory.

+   My lips and hands have also suffered from chill burns.

+   The sticky, dirty snow of late has tarnished my once beautiful sparking green bicycle.

+   And the dark nights are making me feel like I am a cycling vampire.

Winter is giving me major first world pains. Are you fed up yet?

Will I manage to last the rest of February commuting every day? Will my eye stop streaming? And what will become of my ‘snot-ragged-gloves’?  Stay tuned kids….

13 comments:

Jude said...

You still look way fitter than anything in Lycra.

Jemma said...

Not sure with a snotty eyes and puffy cheeks! :-)

The Ranty Highwayman said...

What is this 'Sun' you write about. Where can I find it?

Well, first puncture (rear - damn) of the year from the glass on Transport for London's glass covered cycle track. Not even a slime tube helped on this one, limped home in the dark, trying to snow. Time to order that Marathon Plus tyre! Roll on spring...

Adam Edwards said...

Deeply reassured to find I am not alone with the eye and glove thing. One to add is that when you have been out on salted roads it's not a good idea to wipe away the tears with the glove. It hurts!

Anonymous said...

Yes! I am fed up with winter! We've endured endless cloudy cold days and bout after bout of near sickness or worse, absolute sickness. I dream of 50 degree weather! Thank you for venting. It made me feel better!

Luv 2 Cycle said...

The good news is that winter really does have to come to an end at some point. The gloves can go in the washing machine, your watering eye will become a distant memory and the chilblains (chill burns) will heal.

One thing you can be proud of though, is that you kept those pedals going through hell and high water. Well done that girl.

Kate, Champions said...

I really know what you mean! This week I have a physical spring craving! But actually today is a lot better and quite warm again, yay!

Kate, Champions said...

I've just come across this funny motivator for cycling during the colder months: http://chasingmailboxes.com/2013/02/05/winter-challenge-the-errandonnee/

Unknown said...

There was a definite moment of warmth in the air at least in the middle of the day today, and the sun hadn't quite set when I left to set off home - the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger!

Jemma said...

Haha, Kate, that it such a funny challenge! I'm not sure I have enough or any of my friends have enough errands to keep that challenge going!!

leafygreene said...

It's good to read that someone else is suffering with runny eyes and nose! I really should put my make up on when I get to work. It is lighter at night now.. I've never been so aware of what time the sun sets, as a pedestrian I hardly noticed! Keep going (and writing) Jemma- spring is nearly here!

Anonymous said...

lol funny post. Keep going, the end of near... or rather the April showers and near death winds will be coming soon.

Anonymous said...

April (snow) showers today :-[
Been a long winter

Post a Comment