Friday, 23 November 2012

Toasty Winter Cycling

My new hot, hot gloves for cold, cold rides

Golly gosh, have you been caught out by the cold weather yet out on the bicycle? I caught quite a winter chill when I went on the Sustrans Autumn Wheels bike ride. Ok, so wearing a thin pair of tights might not have been the most sensible item to wear, but sheer tights are in Vogue YEAH? Even Madonna is wearing them.


Sheer tights on the Sustrans bike ride...brrrrrrrrrrr
Cycling in the cold isn't always jolly so I'm calling for ACTION! It's time to bring out the big guns and I'm talking about those granny knits which have been tucked away for 9 months. Remember my ‘Jacket Potato- esque’ look last winter? Well this chunky jumper is making a comeback and will be reunited with my bicycle at long last.

But I can't just rely on my jumper to keep me warm, I need increase my layers so I'm looking to add a few sneaky warm additions to my bicycle wardrobe, keeping it pure cycle chic of course!

I’m ditching my wool gloves in favour of vintage sheepskin gloves I bought last weekend (see photo above). These old timers are mighty thick and I'm a little concerned that they might immobilise the use of my fingers, but hey, as long as can still ring my burger bell then that's all that matters!

I have recently discovered the delights of VeloVixen, a company offering beautiful women's cycle clothing or in other words not shrill pink, ugly, monstrosities you see all to often in cycle retail! I'm swooning over their clothing range almost as much as I'm swooning over their super sweet romantic story about how they came up with the idea of VeloVixen #gush.

So taking inspiration from their website, I think a pair of Ana Nichoola arm warmers would be ideal to make me feel snug. I have also got my eye on this Icebreaker Merino Oasis Crewe as a base layer to sneak under my big fat wool jumper.


Comfy Arm Warmers

Base Layer


So when the air is brisk and London looks like this...

Beautiful Battersea Power Station
I should be the toastiest cyclist that has ever hit the streets of London!...Now just got to add them to my Christmas list! How are you planning to keep warm on the bicycle this winter?


4 comments:

Neil Warner said...

Have you seen the lovely stuff Velobici do? Very nice stuff http://www.velobici.cc/cable-accessory-set-4514-p.asp

Jemma said...

@Neil Warner - Wow, that's a gorgeous scarf/hat set. Now that's what I call luxury!

liz said...

Layers are key to winter cycling! I got a really nice merino baselayer from Howies which is probably my favourite bit of cycling kit. Uniqlo heat tech thermal leggings instead of tights/normal leggings, and a jacket that doesn't let too much air in. I saw a girl cycling over Waterloo Bridge yesterday whose jacket had billowed up like a parachute - I was worried she was going to get blown away!

Anonymous said...

Ah Liz, great minds think alike :-) I love Uniqlo and would recommend their heattech range - the only place a bloke can buy long johns and not be surrounded by hill walkers ... or train enthusiasts.

The other day they were on Oxford Street offering a free heattech item on the condition that you played an ipad game and no doubt provide some personal details.

However they do offer snug, affordable, and well made clothing. Plus they can be worn anytime as they are not cycle-specific. Works well for me :-)

Post a Comment