Friday, 10 August 2012

Summer cycling fuel - Banana Oat Shake Smoothie

I have stumbled across something great.... something which has revolutionised the way I start my day. I'm not kidding, this is something of an awakening, something which will change my life forever...gosh I can't believe I am even sharing this with the internet world.

It all started a couple of months ago when I realised that life was now too hot for my Nutella porridge. Sad, slightly sweaty and rather sick of eating thick, hot porridge oats swamped in tablespoons of Nutella everyday, I desperately sought after a summer replacement for my morning bicycle fuel. It was a hard struggle, but eventually I struck gold and developed a recipe which was set to change my summer forever (little did I know at the time). And now dear friend and cyclist, I am finally able to share it with you. I bring you, Help! My chain came off's Banana oat shake smoothie! Savour it and respect it, for it is the best summer breakfast you shall ever taste!

This recipe serves 2





Add 2 or 3 bananas to a blender


















Add a glass of apple juice or a juice of your choice















Oats ahoy! Add 8 heaped tablespoons of porridge oats.


Next up add 5 ice cubes into the mix


Now add 4 tablespoons of natural yoghurt for some smoothie goodness
















Blend your morning woes away



Serve up and drink up, summer cycling fuel to keep you going!
















7 comments:

liz said...

Sounds tasty! I do something similar with soya milk instead of the apple juice, and sometimes add a spoonful of cocoa powder for a chocolate banana smoothie, or some peanut butter. I reckon Nutella would taste great in this!

Jemma said...

Great idea to add coco or peanut butter! I will definitely give that a try tomorrow.

Caroline said...

Nice! The oat shake is probably better for you at least hormonally, since it DOESN'T have soy (soya) in it like Nutella does. Save the soy for post-menopause! As it is, it's a disruptive phyto-estrogen and its harvest is extremely environmentally destructive. Oats are anti-depressive and of course heart-healthy. While you're adding in powders it'd probably be healthy to add in some flax seed for fun, or heck, some rice protein powder (this stuff is amazing and saved MY life: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainbow-Light-Berry-Protein-Energizer/dp/B001R1C72U/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344609528&sr=8-1-fkmr1 - in the vanilla flavor). I bet it'd be yummy with strawberries or blueberries added... or... peanut butter! Om nom nom. Thanks for sharing this idea - never thought to put oats in a smoothie before.

Jemma said...

Thanks Caroline! I like the idea of adding flax seed to the oat shake! The good thing is that you can always change the shake to whatever fruit/juice/ or extra ingredient you wish!

Andreas said...

Nice - throw in some cinnamon for good luck too!

Pashley Queen said...

Wow, some great tips here. I'm really struggling with breakfasts. I'll definitely be giving theses a try!

BB said...

I love a banana smoothie made with almond milk, raw cacao, a couple of dates and, as has already been mentioned, flaxseed (I find it best to grind the flaxseed in an electric coffee grinder before adding it to the blender). Nutty, sweet and chocolatey. Num, num!

Post a Comment