Tuesday, 13 March 2012

My winter cycling summary- The good, the bad and the very ugly

I think I can vouch for all regular cyclists when I say that the onset of longer and lighter days is top in the book on How to Make a Cyclist Happy, apart from the usual – not being run over/cut up and squashed into the drain of course!

And with longer days comes pleasant cycle-friendly weather and an end to the dark shadows of winter. Gone are the lonely icy rides, numb fingers and toes and using your breath to heat up your hands whilst waiting at red lights. Yes, with Spring well and truly on the fast train, now is a time of reflection on the pleasures and pains of winter cycling.

So how did you get on? Did you give up your two-wheeled diva for hibernation or did you brave the worst of the winter weather?

I am pleased to say that I was the latter, which means I have successfully completed the B-Icycle Challenge– HURRAH! If you don’t know about this challenge then you can read about it here, but the gist is to keep cycling whatever the weather throughout the winter months for all journeys apart from when it's too icy or if you're too ill.... or when you have had a few alcoholic tipples...

I’m not going to lie, my friend, there were times when I thought I might not make it and would slide into the abyss of the cold London fog, and then there were times when I thought I was pedalling like a polar bear, content in the winter sunshine. It’s no secret that the weather can be a harsh mistress and having a permanent runny nose and watery eye for the whole of winter was just one of the tribulations of the challenge I had to endure.

So with that, here is my picture summary of the good and the bad and the very ugly of my winter of cycling:

The Good...



Beautiful, sunny days cycling through London's parks.
















Sometimes I wore these shoes to keep my toes warm.

Christmas day cycling with barely any cars on the road.


The Bad...

Waking up to find the roads like this and having to ditch the bicycle and succumb to the tube in the name of safety.






However, walking to the tube station wasn't the safest alternative after all! It was like an ice rink.


And now for the very ugly....wait for it..... 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Arghhhhhhhh!! (Should have made this picture small!). Getting caught cycling home in the snow wasn't what I expected one Thursday evening. Snow actually started to settle on my fringe and my scarf was actually encased in ice. This is the HelpMyChainCameOff eskimo chic look. I heard it's going to be big on the AW2012 catwalks...

How I coped...























I wore this of course! My deconstructed jacket potato look!

 It's nearly time to put away my ugly gloves and knitted scarf and time to get out the sun glasses and sun cream (let's hope!). Happy Spring cycling bicycle kids!

1 comment:

Diana said...

I am a bad cyclist. My bike has been firmly hibernating since December. Every day I think I'll start cycling again it starts tipping with rain...aaah!!

Post a Comment