Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Introducing....Mr Frog cyclist


Riding the same journey at the same time at the same speed everyday means it's inevitable that I come across the same cyclists. I see them as nuggets of gold on my commute, each displaying a quirk unique to their own.

I can distinguish each of my regular, fellow commuter cyclists by putting them into different categories. Gold membership is for those who I see more than twice a week, Silver members are those I see once a week and bronze are the casual members who pop up every so often and are a rarity to spot (for this reason I always get double points for spotting a bronze member). You might call it an exclusive commuters club in the North London/ City area.

So I thought I'd share with you, over the coming weeks some of the Help! My Chain Came Off regulars starting off with the Mr Frog cyclist.

Sometimes I am lucky to spot this chap a couple of times a week. On a few occasions I have spotted him twice in one day, once on the way to work and then also on the way home - that's platinum membership status! You can generally find Mr Frog cyclist lurking on Penton St. and Barnsbury Road and he is always wearing casual clothing.

The reason for his name is that he displays a very unusual characteristic when cycling which makes him distinct from the usual hustle of lycra/ neon yellow cyclists. The truth is, Mr Frog cyclist rides like a Frog and he isn't the only one to adopt this unusual method of cycling, there seems to be other 'frog cyclists' who I only assume are also members of the Mr Frog bicycle family.

This is what I mean. Non-frog cyclists generally ride like this...


But Mr. Frog cyclist likes to ride like this...




It makes me wander whether he might chuck in this move on his next bike ride...





My boyfriend says it's because his seat is too low. I say it's because he was born into a bicycle Frog clan and it's in his genes.

Or maybe he spawned from this classic game. Remember Frogger?


11 comments:

anniebikes said...

Too funny! I see lots of these Frogs. I also thought it's because their seat is too low.

donna42 said...

Laughing so much it hurts!
you have me wondering what I resemble particularly when I'm riding up hills.

Pashley Queen said...

I can only imagine what I look like...

BB said...

Oooo. . . Twitching for cyclists. What a great idea, quick get me a notebook and binoculars.

Olly said...

Interesting post, creatively illustrated. Hilarious!

Iainecg said...

Think I met a relative of Mr Frog today - lets call him Robin (halfway down the stairs...) there now that's stuck in your head have a great weekend on your bike! :)

Rob Dean: Santa Cruz / The North Face said...

I know just what you mean, a great nickname for the type.

I think his brother commutes along the seafront in Brighton, as I see him every day going the opposite direction to me.

upSlopeAunty said...

Great demonstration of the Frog technique!

I wonder, are there only male members of the Frog family? I can't recall spotting a female Frog. Maybe these cycling Frogs have some kind of condition, one that is shared by men who sit with their legs wide apart on the Underground.

Nick said...

I just found you blog via the London Cyclist and saw this post, it made me chuckle because I do this on the odd occasion... It's not a comfortable way of riding, nor is it a very effective in power to weight cycling. Let me explain why I do it: I normally wear cycle shorts underneath my jeans/shorts/trousers, these are not built for comfort and will often pinch in delicate areas of the "scrotal zone", the frogger position is the best way of releasing some of that pressure in that zone.

I hope this helps in clearing up some of them froggers, I can't explain the ones who ride that way full time!

Jemma said...

@Nick Haha, this is classic! Now that explains it! And it also explains why I never seem to see women froggers. Thank you for the explanation. Keep frogging!

Anonymous said...

I think it is a 'ghetto' style. it was one arfm dangling down the side of the body last year and pedallingwith the sides of the foot this... get down with the kids yo x

Post a Comment