Thursday, 2 February 2012

Keep away the cycle chill

London is cold
I think you can agree that chilly days like these call for one thing, KNITWEAR. There is nothing like wrapping yourself up to look like a stuffed goose in a winter jacket. At least I’m safe in the knowledge that if I took a tumble from my bicycle, I am guaranteed to have a comfy landing. I am adamant that the cold weather will NOT beat me! A good motivator has been the B- ICYCLE challenge which has been a success so far. I haven’t succumbed to the muggy, dry tube yet, even on weekends I have been scooting around town in all elements. I hope you have managed to keep your bicycle free from the lure hibernation over the last couple of months too!

This being my first winter commuting on two-wheels, I have now wised up to the importance of wearing ginormous thick layers. I can proudly admit that today I even had a teeny little bit of sweat on my neck...SUCCESS! My attire of choice this week has been my extra, extra, extra thick woolly jumper and my homemade knitted scarf. Married  together I become so fat I can barely fit my coat on over the top. It’s a great combination and I feel like a tasty hot jacket potato on my bicycle rides. Here is the look:

Exhibit A shows the deconstructed  jacket potato look
Exhibit A
Exhibit B demonstrates the jacket potato/I-haven’t-got-a neck-look

Exhibit B
Do you have any unusual preferences for keeping away from the chill on the bicycle? Any tips to avoid chilly toe syndrome?

8 comments:

youngdonkey said...

longjohns, normal think wool socks and then knee high thick wool socks under normal trousers seem to keep toes alive this week.

anniebikes said...

My black down jacket and Ugg-type boots.

Alex said...

I do a combination of silk long underwear (for wind) and a thin wool layer (for warmth) and a down vest (keeps the middle warm without overheating). On really cold days, I have a thick synthetic layer I wear instead of the double wool/silk, and it insulates so well, I only wear that and the vest. On really really cold days, I take my bike on the train and do a shorter ride (I have a folding bike though, so this is not a big deal for me)

Gisella said...

I guess here in Italy we're luckier in this sense: until last week, this year, my problem was still avoiding sweat! Now's got colder. But Bern Watts helmet, wool jumper, down jacket, Patagonia tech-wool socks and leather boots seem to work pretty well. The only thing I need a solution for is...frozen fingers. Owww, my hands, do they hurt!

Jemma said...

@Alex, wow, sounds like you've got it all sorted! I need to take a leaf out of your cycling book for keeping warm!

@Gisella, tell me about it, it's the cold fingers and toes which are the worse. I keep meaning to buy some thick sheepskin gloves but can't help but think that once I buy them, this cold weather will end and they'll be forgotten about in my wardrobe! Keep warm on your bike!

Pashley Queen said...

Ooh, and cold ears. How do I rectify that? Earmuffs will not go over my helmet!

Chris Bolt On Bicycles said...

I can thoroughly recommend "Eager Overshoes" to keep your feet warm and dry. They are light, pack away well and are a whole lot easier to put on than the neoprene variety and they are available in women's sizes. For cold ears try wearing a "buff" under your helmet

tillie said...

Cold ears are my winter cycling foe. I purchased a Bern winter thingy for my helmet which is actually amazing, though possibly designed for snowboarding because it's almost too warm! Now that I've left London for a small town in New York State I'm not so bothered with a helmet and have experimented with a few different hats; only one of which properly prevents cold ear headaches. I haven't had a problem with cold hands with leather gloves, though admittedly it hasn't been all that cold! I love your jumper and scarf combination Jemma! Gorgeous.

Post a Comment