Saturday, 3 September 2011

Look Mum No Hands!


If you love cycling in London then you probably have visited the bicycle cafe, Look Mum No Hands! for a well deserved pit stop. Whether you have been there or not, I think it deserves a little space on this blog. Let’s get straight to business.
The style
Attracting bicycle traffic from Old Street and the City, this cafe is a welcoming sight on such a busy artery through London. The style and decor leans towards urban chic rather than bicycle hippy, picking up trade from east London scenesters, cycle chic women and let’s not forget MAMILs (Middle Aged Men in Lycra).  The inside space is full of vintage tables, chairs and bike themed furnishings. The raw concrete wall and industrial style tables make the outside space encompass an East Berlin-esque, urban charm.

The Food
There is a range of seasonal food on offer to refuel the hungry urban cyclist, from vegetable pies and salads to homemade cakes and cookies. You can’t go wrong, however I’d advise getting food before 7pm, by the time I got there in the evening there wasn’t much choice left.
The Drink
I am not a coffee fan (I blame my youthful taste buds), but this place has a selection of coffee by the local company square mile, which I have heard is very tasty. Apart from a wide selection of fresh juices and soft drinks, Look Mum No Hands! also serves alcohol. I give their Belgium beer a big thumbs up.
Cycle workshop

Nice bicycles decorate the interior and exterior of this cafe. There are a couple of people on hand to offer bike maintenance, however this doesn’t look too extensive. I’d say this place is better for food than for fixing bikes, however without trying the bike service myself I can’t be too sure! There is also a decent selection of bicycle accessories on offer to buy.
Any extras?
Yes! This wonderful cafe frequently hosts a range of cycle related events and exhibitions. For example, they showed the Tour de France on a big screen, hosted a cycle poster exhibition (ARTCRANK) and even offer a monthly jumble sale. It's these continuous bike related events which places Look Mum No Hands! well and truly in the heart of the London cycling community.
The verdict
I present to you on Jemma’s amazing cyclometre that Look Mum No Hands! scored.....
**** 4 stars = PEDDLE POWER!

The cyclometre
*Pass me the stabilisers please
** Stuck on a toe path behind pedestrians
*** Steady Trevor
**** Peddle Power!
***** Lance Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment